Wednesday, June 13, 2012

An Interest in Pinterest

Judy Smith has pinned a pin to pinterest.

What? What is this nonsense?

I stayed away as long as I could, I'm telling you. I'm not super crafty. I don't consider myself the kind of Susie Homemaker type that would need Pinterest to inspire me to do crazy creative things with ribbon, paper clips, and nail polish. Or whatever.

Seriously, everything I saw on Pinterest seemed so daunting and crafty that I was turned off. And plus, I didn't want to be a typical girl. I like to go against the grain on occasion. And everyone expected me to be on there.

Then I finally thought I might as well check it... out for the sake of the library. That's right, the library. I already take care of Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger for the library. Why not see if I can add Pinterest to the list? I saw that other libraries use it successfully as another way to increase awareness of their usefulness and to provide information. For instance, the New York Public Library has dozens of boards, including a neat one with fashion pictures around the time of Downton Abbey, taking advantage of its current popularity.

So I dove right in. I take it back; I actually stared at pictures for hours. Wait - time has passed? All I did was look at a few puppies. And cookies. And muscles.

I just think it's so ironic that I can be waffling between wanting to just eat every-freakin' thing I see on these boards and wanting to never eat again yet exercise continuously so I can look as awesome as that model. Only you, Pinterest, can torture me in this way.

My favorite are the sarcastic/witty comments. They just crack me right up. I'll take something snarky over something inspirational any day of the week.

So now I'm a pinner. Or whatever. I only have an account for the library, but I'm thisclose to getting my own. It's only a matter of time until Pinterest wears me down...

No comments: