Friday, June 15, 2012

Easy, Breezy, Beautiful. Or Crazy, Hectic, Fantastic.

So, the library has been busy lately.

Like computer-slowing, kid-swarming, library card-applying, crazy-number-of-book-borrowing busy.

  • Dozens and dozens of kids registering for the summer reading program. Like, a herd every hour. And please don't stick me behind the desk at the children's library, because I get crazy. There are so many things to do, and I just end up throwing stickers at children's heads and forgetting half the things to tell the parents.

  • Strangers. No, not the dangerous kind. The kind who are suddenly interested in the library now that it's summer time. Oh, can I use the computers? Check out eBooks? Get onto the wi-fi? Random people every day; taking over the regulars. New people all over the place.

  • College students. Back from school! Ready for something to do other than be put to work at home or skype with their college friends. And I am extremely impressed with people around my age coming to the library and getting books "just for fun," by the way. Honestly, it's so rare I get guys my age just coming to check out a novel that I practically want to propose marriage when it happens.

I love, love, love a busy summer at the library. So much so that I'm already dreading the slow torture of winter. But I love seeing new people, and sun-kissed kids in flip-flops, and entire families all flocking to the library. I love running around and doing fifteen things at once. It does wear me down, though.

The other day I got home extremely wound up, still processing all the conversations I'd had and things that had happened. I had to go right to the gym and move my legs like a crazy person to get my brain to slow down.

Hooray for summer at the library! If you haven't been to your local library in a while, well, you really should. Find out what's happening. You might be surprised.



Hm...not enough fine young men at my library. Like these guys, for instance.

No comments: