Monday, June 4, 2012

Yo. You Smell Nice

So Friday was Say Something Nice Day. Apparently.

I know this because each month I look up things like national days and author birthdays for blog fodder. Not for this blog, for the library blog. I know, I'm a busy little blogger.

I decided to take Say Something Nice Day to heart. I vowed I would say something nice to every single patron. I would compliment them!

This lasted about fifteen minutes. I complimented about five women on something they were wearing. A purse, a necklace, a pin.

Then I realized there was no way I was complimenting men. They don't usually wear anything interesting enough to compliment. And even if they did...well, let's just say I didn't want to be taken the wrong way.

"Heyyyy...I really like your..." shirt? haircut? cologne? I'm a library worker, not your girlfriend/sister/grandmother!

Speaking of cologne, I like it. And I appreciate guys who wear it. As long as it's not too strong. Or weird. Speaking of weird, I've wanted to compliment guys on their cologne before, but talked myself out of it. I wouldn't mean it in an odd way...but it would for sure be odd. Thank goodness I have some social graces.

So the complimenting thing kind of died. I did notice a difference, though, in being a little extra nice to people. I'm always nice, of course, but being a woman myself I know the kind of impact a simple compliment can make. Women I complimented suddenly got more chatty, more open. I know the power of a compliment, often it will last me all day long and I'll feel better about myself.

I think I need to implement the whole complimenting thing a bit more often. How much effort does it take, really, to notice something good about someone? It's nice to be appreciated, is all I'm sayin'.

Every day should be Say Something Nice Day. I know I'm usually consumed by my own appearance, my own thoughts, my own worries. Taking a moment to care more about someone else is a much better idea.

Hey, you. Blog reader. Lookin' good today. If you were a library book, I would definitely take you out-

too much? Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Use good judgment when it comes to compliments. I trust you.

2 comments:

Linda said...

How 'bout this..."Hey, I see you trimmed your nose hair. Great look!" You're right, it is hard to compliment a guy who isn't your husband, father, brother or cousin. Thanks for the smile.

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh. I like the free compliment flyer.

Sincerely,

Bored at Work