Friday, September 9, 2011

American Girl: The Doll Superstar

There is one name that is currently striking fear into parents' hearts every day at the library:

Kanani.

The library is raffling off the latest American Girl doll, whose description I will now share from the AG website:

"Meet Kanani, our 2011 Girl of the Year! She loves to share the aloha spirit of Hawai'i with others. Kanani arrives wearing a bright tropical dress, a faux hibiscus flower, a pretend kukui nut necklace, ruffled sandals, and cotton underwear. She’s soft and huggable with long hair for styling. Includes the Aloha, Kanani paperback book."

Could girls approximately 8-12 (possibly older...) ask for anything more? No. Because this doll holds all the answers. Sitting on the counter in its box, neck secured with a plastic tie, beady eyes watching over the library, this doll is IT. The most most desperate desire of a girl's heart.

Obviously, I had years when I was obsessed with American Girl. I got the magazines, the catalogues, everything except actually having a doll. The one I wanted was Felicity. Felicity had a horse, and my American Girl phase coincided with my horse phase.

(My horse phase ended when I actually had horseback-riding lessons from a teacher who basically let me ride around by myself, scared out of my mind, until the horse got spooked by some loud machinery and dumped the dead weight on her back. The whole experience wasn't quite as romantic as I'd pictured it.)

So I'm off to work pretty soon, really looking forward to the death glares aimed at me by moms who thought that at least at the LIBRARY they would be safe from their daughters' consumerism....

If you are a female reading this, I'm going to assume that if American Girl dolls were around when you were young, you wanted one. Which one was your favorite?

5 comments:

Molly said...

I, of course, received Molly for Christmas one year. She was cool because she had my name and even looked like me! Green eyes and brown hair. However, when Josephine came out I wanted her because she had earrings. My Mom got Felicity (I liked her, too) and my older sister got Samantha. One of my younger sisters got Kit. We had quite a collection!

Unknown said...

I did not grow up with American Girls... does this make me old??!?! (don't answer that) I do remember my little sister having all the books and I did enjoy them a little, too. We never did have any of the dolls...

on that note, thanks for the heads up to avoid the library with my little girls for the next few weeks (although they might still be a little young for AG)

Sarah said...

I still have my Felicity doll somewhere at my dad's house!

jingalls said...

Kit. but i never had the doll. My sister has Kirsten though. We had some fun times with that doll.

Laura said...

Molly - I love that your family had so many! You could benefit from all of them! My problem with my sister, though, was that we were always jealous of each others' things if we got similar presents...grass is always greener and all that!