Friday, September 23, 2011

What's the Secret Password?

I am really sick of passwords.

Seriously. How many am I expected to come up with? I have created dozens of accounts over the years, more every day! Everything from Facebook to banking, Twitter to insurance, Blogger to iTunes. Not to mention my three email addresses.

Want to leave a comment at this site? Create an account. Want more information? Create an account. Want your own profile? Create an account.

I try to overlap user names and passwords so I can remember. I try to stick with the same key words for work-related things, for instance. But I can't have the same user name and password for EVERYTHING! It seems to risky. Not to mention, I'd have to go back and change everything so it matched. And different sites have different requirements.

I am at the point now where I just get mad if I have to create a new password for something. I try to use something I've already used, but I need to have two numbers. And a capital letter. And a symbol. And two dashes, a smiley face, and my astrological sign. Ugh! I've come to the point where if I create this quick account I don't think I'll use anymore, like one I used for online computer support, I do something like "helpme". Or "passwordsarestupid".

The other day, I was logging in to one of my email accounts and forgot my password. I remembered part of it, but got stuck. I tried to keep typing it in without thinking about it. Like, la di da, just typing in my password automatically of course I remember it...but kept I failing. I noticed my finger kept drifting upwards, so I went with that, just trying to feel the password, and eventually I got it.

But seriously? Should all these passwords be causing me this much grief?

I say no. What say you?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

so say we all! I have to change my work passwords every 60 days and it is ridiculous!

Hannah said...

Some people actually keep separate address books just for their passwords...at least you can find it somewhere if...I mean when...you forget. Of course, if someone finds your book you're totally in trouble. Maybe we should just move out into the woods and live off the land. Nah!

Laura said...

Oh wow, I can't imagine all my passwords down in one place. And I would DEFinitely lose it!