Monday, September 19, 2011

A Spooky Story

So the other day, I worked at the library until 9. It was kind of a late night, it was dark... I pulled into my long driveway and hiked up it to grab the overturned trash can, which had been emptied that day. I started taking it down to its spot, and I heard what sounded like water sloshing around inside of it.

I experimented a little bit, shaking it around, wondering what it was. Turned it around, tried to look down it but couldn't see.

Then suddenly I was struck with a thought: there's something alive in here.

I stopped moving the garbage can and something rustled way down in the bottom of it.

I carefully set it down and backed slowly away, intending to turn on the light on my keychain (normally meant to scare off bad people) and shine it down into the trash can to see if there was something in there.

All of a sudden, the can lurched over and hit the driveway, causing me to high-step backwards, shrieking, like an unbalanced giraffe. The kind of giraffe that shrieks.

It was so dark, I couldn't tell if anything scampered out. I turned on my light and flashed it deep down in the garbage can, but didn't see anything.

I guess now we'll never know.

3 comments:

Molly said...

Yikes!!!

P.S. I would love to see a shrieking giraffe. ;)

Hannah said...

What?! You're leaving us hanging like that?

Laura said...

I felt like I was left hanging too!