Monday, September 12, 2011

More Potter? Yes, Please!

If you are a Harry Potter fan, I'm sure I don't need to inform you about Pottermore.

If you are not a Harry Potter fan, but still have decided to carry on reading this post, here's Pottermore in a nutshell: it's an interactive Harry Potter website from Jo Rowling that takes you through moments in each book. It includes new background material from Rowling, as well as the chance to experience magical things like getting a wand, being sorted into a house, creating potions, and competing for the House Cup. If none of this makes sense to you...read the books, why don't you??

Anyway, Pottermore opens to everyone in October, but because of extreme dedication and sacrifice of sleep on my part, I was able to get in early! Well I got my name in, then I had to wait and get a welcome email. And on Saturday, it came!

Here are some of my thoughts on Pottermore:

1. I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ON POTTERMORE! This is almost as good as going to Hogwarts! almost...
2. The graphics are really well done. It's so great to see places like the Dursleys' kitchen and Harry's cupboard under the stairs come to life.
3. There's no music or sound on the site, so I brought up iTunes to play epic soundtracks like Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings.
4. Learning extra information straight from Jo is so. stinkin. cool. I read about how Vernon and Petunia met, what a wand's core and wood say about a wizard, and why McGonagall never married.
5. Pottermore keeps going down! It's either because they're making changes and updates, or because so many people keep trying to get on at once. Frustrating.
6. Brewing potions is tricky, but very cool. Also, horned slugs are disgusting.
7. I got to shop in Diagon Alley! I bought first-year books, school equipment, and an owl.
8. I took two very interesting quizzes...one to get my wand (hazel with phoenix feather core, fourteen and a half inches, reasonably supple) and one to get sorted!
9. I was sorted into Gryffindor! What? I always sort of thought of myself as Ravenclaw, but apparently I'm braver than I thought...
10. All in all, great site. Once I finish going through the first book, there's not too much to do until the next one comes out. That's good; if there was too much on there I would probably never leave.

Experiencing Pottermore makes me want to read the books again! Really good site; definitely worth the wait.

Pottermore

No comments: