Monday, May 21, 2012

Ew. Ew. Ew ew ew EW EW EW GET IT!

I'm going to call them "phantom bug itches."

You know, when you feel like there's a bug crawling on you and you look and nothing's there?

I liken it to stories you hear about people losing limbs and feeling like they still itch in lost places...?

Bad example? Probably.

Anyway, this time of year when all the bugs come creeping out from their winter hiding spots, I remember that this is what I don't appreciate about spring.

It's just, suddenly there are random ants and spiders and centipedes strutting around thinking that they own the place. Crawling across the table bold as brass, just trusting that I won't squash them where they stand! Ha!

Actually, they're probably right. By the time I summon the courage, or a napkin, they have usually already vanished into an invisible crevice. And that's even worse, because they're still at large.

So anyway, seeing all these bugs around and occasionally having one crawl on me makes me feel them on appendages even when there's nothing there. Ugh, I hate it! It makes me want to flap my hands and kick up my feet, as my voice goes up several octaves.

Honestly, sometimes I'm such a girl.

(I googled "bug on arm" to find a good picture for this post, and proceeded to almost lose my cookies at the pictures that popped up. So no picture today, friends.)

2 comments:

Laura Moore said...

A few summers ago we had a very strange incidence of ants in our bedroom. I flipped out every night when I saw one or two on our carpet before I went to bed. I set out traps, cleaned the room from top to bottom for fear there was some mysterious sugar cache somewhere, and sprayed ant killer all along the baseboards. I wasn't able to get any sleep because I was SURE ants were marching up and down my blankets all night long. The slightest tickle would cause me to spring out of bed and throw back to
covers to reveal, well, nothing. Ugh, just thinking about it now, makes me shiver and cringe.

Laura said...

Oh, that sounds horrible Laura! Ants make me crazy, especially the unusually large ones.