Friday, May 18, 2012

Speling and gramer, Its importent

Not gonna lie; I lose a smidge of respect for people who make obvious spelling and grammatical errors.

Does this make me a grammar nazi? Or simply a lover of words who hates to see them misused..?

I blame typing. And texting. And firing off words without thinking or pausing or checking. At least read your comment over again before posting. At least remember fifth grade English. At least only use words you can spell. And define.

I do hold people who should know better to higher standards. Especially businesses and reputable websites. Adults who should really understand correct usage of their, they're, and there. Seriously, it's not that difficult! Not caring is just lazy. Why should I care what people say if they're that sloppy in their professional writing?

It might seem simple, but it makes a big difference to me. Precise, correct writing prevents the reader from being bogged down with distractions. If I look at a flyer and the first thing I see is "it's" instead of "its," I'm mentally rolling my eyes as I glance through the rest of the words.

Why do skills like spelling and grammar have to be part of a lost art? Why do people who care about such skills get labeled as stuck-up?



Think about it.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Note: Now, don't get offended if you sacrifice grammar/spelling for briefness in texts and tweets. That's not the issue. I'm speaking more of "professional" writing.