Tuesday, May 29, 2012

76 Trombones Led It. Not Really.

Happy Late Memorial Day!

Did you picnic? Swim? Frolic? Barbeque? Sunburn? *Gasp* - all of the above?

I hope whatever you did, it was awesome and with awesome people. I love Memorial Day - it's the kickoff to summer! Not to mention a great day to honor the men and women who have served and currently serve our country in the military. THANK YOU!

I had a fabulous time walking in our local Memorial Day parade with a theater group, passing out flyers advertising free Shakespeare in the Park performances. I have loved volunteering with this local group for the last few years, and I was excited to spread the word. Passing out flyers to hundreds of people quickly is quite a whirlwind: "Support the arts!" "Free performances!" "Shakespeare in the Park!" "Free!" "Date night!" "Free!"

And did I mention it's free?

Of course, walking in the parade always makes me feel a bit like a celebrity. That's right, I think to myself. They're all here to see me. Struttin' down the street with my shades on, passing out literature. The children love me! No big deal, though.

I've walked in past years with my church or with the library and it's always such a good time. It would have been BETTER if all those riding LAWNmowers hadn't cut us off and we got so far behind the marching band I couldn't hear the festive parade music...but whatever. We were in the parade!

And it was super hot. Seriously, I was saturated. I'd like to apologize to all the old people in lawn chairs I may have dripped on, hovering over their socks and sandals with my sweaty self. And that hike through the streets is not leisurely, let me tell you! You look up and suddenly the truck with the rest of the candy and flyers is aaaalll the way up the hill and you have got to pick up your feet, slowpoke!

It felt completely lovely to enjoy a fabulous barbeque afterwards, not moving and sucking down fluids. What a great way to spend Memorial Day!

What did YOU do?

Oh, now watch this, just for fun.

1 comment:

Linda said...

My second favorite part of the parade (after seeing you!!) was the man on the motorcycle with the chicken hat. Yes, we live in Mayberry...