Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dark-Eyed Junco Pie, Anyone?

I get confused every morning.



Around 4, 5, 6 o'clock. I wake up, light streaming in the window and birds calling like it's the middle of the afternoon. I grab my cell phone, worried that my alarm didn't go off. But it's an hour or TWO earlier than I'm set to get up. I leave my window open for the breeze, but get all sorts of light and noise as my reward too early in the morning.

I love summer and everything, but days start a little too soon for me. And the weird thing is, I don't even feel tired, like I could spring right out of bed, fling the curtains open, and sing right back out at those stupid lovely birds.

And there is this one bird. This one bird that seems to live right outside of my window. He calls out all morning. Possibly all day. All night? I have vivid fantasies of shooting him down. His song never to be heard again 'round these parts.

I even scoured the internet this morning, listening to random common birdcalls to find his.

It appears to be the dark-eyed junco. Take a listen.



So that's my little guy. Or at least a little guy that sounds just like him.

My own personal alarm clock. I just wish that I could SET him to a decent time.

1 comment:

Linda said...

We have tons of Juncos that visit our feeder in the winter. We know of a bird that's more annoying than the junco, the killdeer. Take a listen to their call! We had one that lived outside our home when we live more in the country. He's not a good neighbor when you have a husband who is working night shift!