Friday, July 6, 2012

Bang. You're Dead.

I have an irrational fear of fireworks.

Maybe not completely irrational. I mean, people have been hurt from fireworks before. I know that if you're in a crowd of people watching fireworks from a safe distance, your chances of surviving are pretty good. But I tend to think I will not.

Survive, I mean.

I don't particularly care for loud, unexpected noises. When will the next BANG happen? How loud will this one be? Especially when there's that sound delay. A huge burst of light, a second of uncomfortable anticipation, and then kerPOW!

Not my cup of tea. In fact, that's what I'd rather be doing. Sitting in a garden and sipping a cup of tea. Not watching light explode and fearing for my life.

I know, I know. I'm a wimp. And I will go and see fireworks with friends and pretend I don't care that there are sparks flying and loud bangs making me jump.

*cringe*

I can totally understand how dogs feel. Most dogs I know don't really care for fireworks. They don't understand what's happening and why everyone else is just laughing it up. Loud noises mean DANGER! They mean FEAR! They mean whimpering and hiding and eyes filled with betrayal.



I get you, dogs. Let's all go hide together, I say.

Leave those crazy humans and their fire alone.



I am also afraid fireworks will swoop down on me like dragons. Thank you, LOTR.

1 comment:

Molly said...

You and my dog Kuma can go hide together. Last 4th of July, he was only 6 months old or so and we took him to the 4th of July celebration at my uncle's house in Nebraska. We planned on 'bang'+ treat = all ok! No such luck. Kuma tore up my shirt trying to get away. Poor baby actually cried tears and wouldn't let me near him since I was the one that hung onto him through the ordeal.