Friday, December 16, 2011

What Are You in For?

So yesterday I got to hang around a waiting room.

Awkward!

I had to go back to the oral surgeon so they could check out the pathetic gummy gaps where my wisdom teeth used to be. And make sure they were healing okay and such.

I walked in, and the place was packed. There were a few people standing, so after I checked in I went straight over to that huddle. Then I noticed there were about three empty chairs scattered about.

Let's see....do I want to sit next to the sleeping kid? No. The sullen teenager? No.The scary-looking bearded man? Definitely not. So I stood. And stood. And stood.

And got mad at myself for not bringing anything to do! What kind of librarian doesn't bring a book with her to these sorts of things?

Waiting in a waiting room is so awkward, because I never know where to look. I certainly don't want to make eye contact with anyone. But at the same time I need to check everyone out. People-watch.

So my eyes are darting around every couple of seconds, only to meet up with other people's eyes doing the same thing.

Maybe I should just stare down at the floor...

Then after a while the room started clearing out and I snagged a prime seat right by the table full of magazines. Then I got to read about Oprah's favorite things for a while, until I was called in.

After 45 minutes waiting, my actual appointment consisted of the dentist looking inside of my mouth and saying everything looked good. It lasted less than a minute. I am not exaggerating. I barely even sat down.

So yay for healing wisdom teeth! And the awkwardness of waiting rooms!

No comments: