Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Monkey See, Monkey Do


So I was behind the desk at the library and got to listen in on this gem told by a mother to her kid, who must've been misbehaving in some way:

"The librarian's going to yell at you. They won't let you come back to the library."

Excuse me?

You're going to point to the librarian as a type of bogeyman to threaten your kids with? And this isn't even the first time I've heard comments like this. Is it any wonder that so many kids don't see how the library is relevant to their lives? Sure, if you see librarians as the bad guys who want to squelch all your fun, of course the library will seem like a dismal place.

Dear parents: Your kids are learning from you. Whether they're watching what you do or listening to what you blatantly say. This includes your feelings towards the library. For instance, if you stand in front of us lying to get out of a fine in front of your child, what exactly do you think you're teaching her?

I've seen too many parents here negatively contributing to how their kids view the library. It baffles me, because HELLO this is a free, awesome place. 

Obviously, most parents are great about showing their kids a good time in the library. I'm picking on a small percentage here. Nothing makes me happier than hearing parents getting their kids excited about finding books. Moms reading to their kids in the children's area. Dads bringing their kids to story time. My favorite is whole families coming together to the library.

So please don't spoil the library for your kids!

No comments: