Friday, March 30, 2012

The Smarty-Pants Librarian


All right, all right. I kind of like to be a smarty-pants.

No doubt most of this is because I'm the firstborn in my family. I know it all and you'll do what I tell you!

But I really like to know everything first. Obviously this is impossible. Other people are much more informed than I am. I'm not online as much as others; I don't have internet on my phone for instance. But I love to stay current on especially book, movie, and tv show news. Culture, entertainment, publishing. I consider it my duty as a librarian.

Jo Rowling is writing a new book for adults? On it. Nathan Fillion (from the tv show Castle) to star in the next Percy Jackson and the Olympians movie (which they better not ruin like the first one)? Got it. Hunger Games movie news, Harry Potter eBooks, online fandom debates? Sooo yesterday.

My secret is http://www.hypable.com/. This site is rockin'. I've been a fan ever since it began, not too long ago. Years ago I found http://www.mugglenet.com/, which is a Harry Potter fan site. I stayed up-to-date on all the latest HP news there. Then, several people from that site created Hypable, which covers dozens of different fandoms. Not to mention general news items having to do with publishing, tv, and movies. I like to know all these things, and share them.

I read all types of books, from celebrity memoirs to historical mysteries to young adult dystopian to kids' novels to rhyming picture books. Nothing makes me happier than being able to chat with a library patron about something they're checking out. Kids are shocked a "big kid" is reading the same authors they are. Adults appreciate an "expert's" opinion on their movies. And I can discuss The Hunger Games with pretty much every teen.

I like to know things. I like to be current. I like to be the young, hip librarian who's always looking towards the next trend. I want to be on top of things and be able to inform.

That's just how I roll.

2 comments:

Katey said...

Hi Laura, I seen your blog after you left a comment on Jon Acuff's blog about being an introvert. I was reading through your posts and seen some about library's and I really enjoyed them. I also work in a public library and am one of the younger librarians who likes to stay informed with the current news.

Laura said...

Hi Katey! Working in the library is the BEST, isn't it?