Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Traditional Sort of Food

Have you ever felt guilty because you don't like to eat something traditional? Some things are just expected of you around the holidays...like eating turkey. Or pumpkin pie. Two things I could do without.

I mean, I'll eat them. There are few things I will downright refuse to eat. But turkey and pumpkin pie? I'd just as soon skip them and load up on sweet potato casserole or something oozing with chocolate instead.

The thing about turkey is, it's meat. People say, "Oof, I stuffed myself with turkey yesterday!" and I think, why would you do something like that? It's turkey. Boring old meat. Same thing with people eating lots of ham or sausage or whatever. I say, skimp on the turkey now so when the dessert comes out, you'll be ready.

Okay, so now the dessert comes out. Everyone dives for the pumpkin pie. It's okay, I guess. But I'm not really a pie-lover. I'll just take a spoonful of Cool-Whip instead, thank you.

Traditions are well and good in their place. But there's no reason to keep doing something (or eating something) for tradition's sake alone.

This cartoon doesn't really have anything to do with my post, other than the fact that it's about turkey. But enjoy it anyway. :)

No comments: