Thursday, December 9, 2010

Snow is My Frenemy

Snow and I have a love/hate relationship. For me, it's all about the timing.

Those weeks building up to Christmas...bring it on! I begin almost every morning by squinting through the blindes on my window, hoping to see some serious piles.

Come on, come on, come on... I see pictures of snowstorms on my Facebook friends profiles and grit my teeth with envy. It's not that hard, let's go, SNOW!

Anticipating snow takes me back to being at school and praying for a snow day every night from October until March. I have never watched the weather as closely as those years I was at college.

And the first "real" snowfall (the one that counted, obviously) with all the grass and trees covered? Total bliss.

Now, fast forward to after Christmas. Only crumbs left of the cookies. Crinkled up wrapping paper. Dry pine needles. December comes to a close.

Okay, ready for spring!

No such luck. Now the REAL snow begins. The frost. The hail. The freezing temperatures. All the stuff I would've welcomed in December. Now, not so much.

School and work closings are still exciting, don't get me wrong. But the snow is more ominous now. It's not fluffy and Christmas-y. It's heavy, dark, and COLD.

So bring on the snow now, while I'm emotionally prepared. Now, while I'm singing carols and eating cookies. Now, while I'm dreaming of a White Christmas.

Because, after Christmas? The REAL snow comes. And won't leave.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

haha! I love it! I am in total agreement with you on this one. And your picture couldn't be more perfect. :D