Friday, December 3, 2010

Singing Loud for All to Hear



Around the middle of October, I start hearing the first Christmas music of the season.

"Aaaaah! Turn it off! It's too early! Not yet!"

I cover my ears and close my eyes (because apparently that helps block sound as well) and the guilty party caught spreading early holiday cheer glares at me like I just said "Bah, humbug!" and kicked Rudolph in the face.

But come on! Help me out, here! Christmas music is so special and makes me SO excited, I have to wait as long as I can. At least closer to Thanksgiving! I have this fear that I'll get sick of Christmas before December even starts.

Now, it's December. So I can listen all I want. Ha!

What is it that makes Christmas music so wonderful? My favorite kinds of holiday music are older. Classics sung by Bing Crosby or Burl Ives. Traditional hymns, the Hallelujah Chorus. The Nutcracker Suite.

Christmas music brings an instant smile to my face. I swear, my heart beats faster and I just want to do silly things like spin around, fling tinsel, and cut out paper snowflakes. I feel warm and fuzzy and nostalgic. And how could I NOT sing along?

2 comments:

jingalls said...

i'm the part of the guilty party that looks like you just kicked rudolph in the face....... christmas music is played on my itunes year-round.

Laura said...

Uh-oh...