Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mail, Especially of the Christmas Variety

I am in charge of the Christmas cards at the library.

After a couple times of me exclaiming over them and admiring them and practically grabbing envelopes out of people's hands, the librarian who handles the mail just gave up and let me open all of the cards as they come in.

So I open up each one, show the especially cute ones to anyone who happens to be standing around, and stick them up with tape in an artistic sort of collage.

It's fun to get the random ones from businesses, like the bank. I have mixed feelings about the glittery ones. Sure, glitter is pretty to look at, but it gets ALL over my hands and the envelope and the tape and I start feeling panicky, like I have to hold back so I don't start jumping up and down and flapping my hands.

Christmas cards feed my desire to get mail. Other people are annoyed by lots of email - I get a little excited. My birthday is a big event, of course, because I get so much fun mail. When I got all that mail about colleges when I was in high school, I felt very important.

It's just nice to get something with your name on it, I guess. There's nothing like opening up an envelope with your name on it...especially if it's a thick envelope. Money? Stickers? A musical card? Oh, the possibilities!

No comments: