Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Phone Doom

Do you look forward to answering the phone? Is it exciting to you to hear the phone ring?

Well, to me, a ringing phone signals impending doom.

Not really. But kind of.

There's something about a phone ringing that makes me NOT want to answer it. I'm afraid it's bad news. I'm afraid someone's calling to remind me about something I forgot to do or be at. I'm afraid - well, afraid is too strong of a word. Anxious.

I guess the phone ringing is kind of like an alarm to me.

I'm a constant worrier, so I'll have little annoying thoughts and doubts poking my brain a lot. When the phone rings, it interrupts whatever I'm worrying about at the moment (or have been worrying about previously) and calls attention to it.

And when I'm at work, well, it can be risky to answer the phone! You never know WHAT you're getting yourself into.

I know, it's just the phone. But at my house, I'm the last person to answer it.

No comments: