Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stop Me If You've Heard This

It happens to me all the time.

I'm talking to someone - family member, friend, co-worker, etc - when I get the feeling that I've shared this particular story/fact/whatever before and I can't remember with whom.

"And so then I THREW it all the way up in the air and - wait, have I told you this before?"

When I tell people something I've already told them, they fall into one of three categories:

1) The Silent Martyr - these people may have already heard about the new scarf I got for three dollars on clearance but they are going to suffer through it again. Because they love me. Or are too shy to say anything. Or too bored to care.

2) The Glazed-Over Head-Nodder - instead of just telling me that I've already told them about the new banana bread recipe I've found, they adopt a knowing expression and nod faster and faster, in the hopes that I'll just catch on. "Uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh..."

3) The Brutally Honest Abe - pretty self-explanatory. "You told me this already."

What do YOU do when someone tells you something he/she already told you? As for me, I'm usually the silent martyr. I go along with the story because I don't want the person who's telling me to feel bad for not remembering telling me already.

That's just the way I roll.

2 comments:

jingalls said...

i think i'm a cross between all 3. it just depends on my mood.

Anonymous said...

I'm over a certain age, so if you've told me this story before I don't remember and I enjoy the story for a second or third time. It's a lovely age. All jokes are always new!

Linda